Can a Minor Bring Forward a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Tennessee?

Your worst nightmare has come true and your minor child has sustained injuries due to another party’s negligence. Because of his or her injuries, your child requires medical treatments that you might not be able to afford. But can your child sue the responsible party per the Volunteer State’s laws? If you need to know, please read on, then contact an experienced Memphis premises liability lawyer to learn if a minor can bring forward a personal injury lawsuit in the state of Tennessee.

Is a Tennessee minor allowed to file suit for personal injury?

Minors in Tennessee can be a party to a cause of action for a variety of torts. However, minors can’t act for themselves in contracting with counsel and otherwise making provisions to institute a lawsuit. They must have someone, a parent or legal guardian, to act for them.

How does a parent or guardian file a personal injury claim on behalf of a minor in Tennessee?

In the state of Tennessee, parents or legal guardians can sue for two types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages relate to the financial burden of the minor’s injuries including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Hospital bills
  • Doctor’s visits
  • Physical therapy
  • Any and all medical treatments

Conversely, non-economic damages relate to non-monetary damages, including:

  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering

If your minor child has suffered in any way because of the negligence of another person or party, you should reach out to a skilled Memphis personal injury lawyer to discuss your next steps.

How can a Memphis personal injury attorney help you?

First of all, a Memphis personal injury attorney will inform you of your rights and responsibilities as they pertain to your child and his or her case. A qualified legal representative will also collect, prepare and present the evidence needed to prove your child’s case in court. This evidence includes your child’s medical records, statements from witnesses, police reports and photos and/or videos of the accident scene. He or she will provide guidance so that you, the parent or guardian, can make informed decisions on behalf of your child. You and your child do not have to undertake this process alone. Please give us a call today.

Contact Our Experienced Memphis Firm

No one should ever have to recover from a serious injury or deal with a pressing criminal matter on their own. We pride ourselves in assisting clients facing a wide range of legal issues throughout Memphis, Tennessee, and we are ready to help you, too. If you need assistance with a personal injury, criminal, or business litigation matter, you can turn to us. Contact Ballin, Ballin & Fishman, P.C. today to schedule your free initial consultation with our experienced legal team.