Nhat Hanh, a Buddist monk, once said, “Anger is like a flame blazing up and consuming our self-control, making us think, say, and do things that we will probably regret later.” If you have been accused of letting anger consume your self-control by allegedly committing an assault, please read on, then contact an experienced Memphis assault lawyer to learn more about the consequences of assault charges in the state of Tennessee.
Consequences of assault charges in the state of Tennessee
Under the criminal laws of the state of Tennessee, simple assault is typically charged as a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and fines reaching $2,500. However, if you are found to have intentionally inflicted serious injury, used a deadly weapon or have a criminal history, you may be charged with aggravated assault, a Class C felony punishable by 3 to 15 years in prison.
What is worthy of assault charges in Tennessee?
An “assault” is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such person that such violence is imminent. It must meet all three elements: intent, apprehension of a harmful contact and causation.
What are some examples of Simple Assault and Aggravated Assault?
The following includes examples of simple assault and aggravated assault:
- Inflicting or threatening to inflict minor injuries, touching and threatening words or behavior
- Pushing someone away from you in an argument
- Verbally threatening an individual with violence
- Raising a fist and moving it in a threatening manner toward a person
- Inflicting or threatening to inflict serious injuries or the addition of weapons into the interaction
- A defendant waving a pocket knife around while threatening to stab the alleged victim
- Using a glass bottle to strike the alleged victim on the head
- Shooting or threatening to shoot someone, particularly while the gun is pointed at the alleged victim
- Assault with the intent to commit another felony crime, such as robbery or rape
Whether you are facing a charge of simple assault or aggravated assault, you should reach out to a skilled Memphis criminal defense attorney because an assault conviction of any severity can hold life-long consequences. Do not let a brief lapse in judgment ruin the rest of your life. Call a qualified legal representative today.
Contact Our Experienced Memphis Firm
No one should ever have to recover from a serious injury or deal with a pressing criminal matter on their own. We pride ourselves in assisting clients facing a wide range of legal issues throughout Memphis, Tennessee, and we are ready to help you, too. If you need assistance with a personal injury, criminal, or business litigation matter, you can turn to us. Contact Ballin, Ballin & Fishman, P.C. today to schedule your free initial consultation with our experienced legal team.