In an average year, the Volunteer State hosts tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of motor vehicle collisions resulting in personal injury. 1,720 of those result in fatalities. This is in large part because of the population density of Western Tennessee. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a motor vehicle collision, please read on, then contact an experienced Memphis car accident lawyer to learn what the most common causes of car accidents are in Tennessee.
What leads to most car accidents in Tennesee?
Based on data compiled by responding agencies, the most common causes of car accidents are as follows:
- Driver inattention and distraction: Talking on a cell phone, texting, flipping through radio stations, putting on makeup, reading a map – all of these actions could lead to car accidents.
- Following too closely: Although tailgating usually results in “minor” accidents, even the slightest fender bender can have disastrous consequences.
- Failure to yield right of way: Western Tennessee is notorious for people not adhering to “right of way” rules.
- Unsafe lane changes: Many of these instances happen after a driver fails to signal their intentions before pulling recklessly into traffic.
- Backing up unsafely: Sadly, some drivers do not look behind them before backing up.
- Unsafe passing: Involving actions like whipping in and out of lanes at high speeds, unsafe passing accounts for a good percentage of Western Tennessee’s monthly collisions.
- Speeding: While many municipalities are decreasing their speed limits, some drivers decide to ignore them.
- Inexperienced drivers: Those who lack an adequate understanding of Memphis’s driving rules find it hard to cope with driving in an urban area.
- Disregarding traffic signals: Running red lights and failing to stop at stop signs can lead to a chaotic driving scene.
- Drunk driving: No matter how well you drive, you remain at risk of those who impair themselves.
- Vehicle malfunction: Bald tires, ineffective brakes, steering system malfunctions, engine failure, improperly maintained transmissions, inadequate suspensions and broken head or brake lights can all lead to accidents.
- Improper road design: Road geometry, the absence of traffic signals or signs, potholes and other road defects all contribute to car accidents.
Regardless of how you sustained injuries in a car accident, you should reach out to a skilled Memphis personal injury lawyer to discuss your next steps. He or she will not only help you file the suit in accordance with Volunteer State statute, but also assist you in holding the negligent parties responsible. Please give us a call today so we can fight for you.
Contact Our Experienced Memphis Firm
No one should ever have to recover from a serious injury or deal with a pressing criminal matter on their own. We pride ourselves in assisting clients facing a wide range of legal issues throughout Memphis, Tennessee, and we are ready to help you, too. If you need assistance with a personal injury, criminal, or business litigation matter, you can turn to us. Contact Ballin, Ballin & Fishman, P.C. today to schedule your free initial consultation with our experienced legal team.