Memphis Man Claims Self-Defense in Shooting Death of Chef
Memphis, TN. 4/27/22
Man accused in death of Lafayette’s chef was convicted in Florida slaying. Blake Ballin was quoted as saying Based on what he told the police at the scene, it is obvious that he was acting in self-defense,” Ballin said. “Mr. Brush did exactly what you would expect of somebody who acted in self-defense. (He) called 911 and stayed on the scene until the police arrived.
Tony Allen Defense
-Memphis, TN. 1/11/22
Leslie Ballin, Esq. was recently featured in Commercial Appeal for representing former Memphis Grizzlies guard Tony Allen, whose domestic assault and vandalism charges were dismissed.
$10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Shelby County
-Memphis, TN. 6/4/21
Randy Fishman appeared on Local 24 in Memphis, Tennessee this week to discuss a recently filed wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Ms. Nicole Carter. Ms. Carter’s husband and daughter were tragically killed in a jet-ski accident last year on Pickwick Lake.
James Wiseman v. NCAA
-Memphis, TN. 11/11/19
Randy Fishman appeared on the Geoff Calkins show this morning to discuss the ongoing litigation between University of Memphis basketball star James Wiseman and the NCAA.
Colby Neagle Defense
-Memphis, TN. 8/19/19
Blake Ballin appeared on WMC TV-5 to discuss his client Colby Neagle. Neagle was released on his own recognizance last week. Ballin is representing only Mr. Neagle and no other party. This firm will have further comments as it becomes available.
Brandon McCray Defense
-Memphis, TN. 1/4/19
Blake Ballin appeared across all local network stations last night, discussing charges facing Mr. Brandon McCray. Ballin appeared alongside his client during a hearing yesterday morning at the Criminal Justice Center at 201 Poplar, where McCray is charged. Mr. Ballin and Mr. McCray will return to court on January 9th for further proceedings in this matter. Ballin Ballin & Fishman will have no further comment at this time.
Anwar Ghazali Defense
-Memphis, TN. 4/3/18
Last night, Blake Ballin appeared on WMC-TV 5 to comment on the ongoing defense of Anwar Ghazali. Ballin states, “This is not necessarily a case of someone being shot over a beer.” Mr. Ballin has been retained as counsel and will appear with Mr. Ghazali this morning at 9:00am.
- Ballin on Anwar Ghazali
- Ghazali Statement 4/4/18
- CNN Story on Anwar Ghazali
- Washington Examiner on Anwar Ghazali
- Washington Post on Ballin, Ghazali
Sherra Wright Defense
-Memphis, TN. 2/26/18
This morning, Blake Ballin and Steve Farese Jr. appeared in court alongside Sherra Wright. Ballin, Ballin & Fishman and Farese, Farese & Farese have agreed to represent Ms. Wright. She has entered a plea of Not Guilty on all counts and looks forward to proving her innocence in due time. Ms. Wright and her legal team will return to court on Monday, March 19th. At this time, neither law firm will have any further comment.
As previously stated, this page will be updated regularly with all statements, reports and interviews regarding the ongoing case.
-Memphis, TN. 1/25/18
Blake Ballin and Steve Farese Jr. are currently in negotiations with the family of Sherra Wright. Wright is charged with 1st Degree Murder, Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder, and Criminal Attempt-First Degree Murder. This page will be updated regularly with all statements, reports and interviews regarding the ongoing case. Ms. Wright is due to appear in court next on Monday, February 26th.
This morning, January 25th, Ballin and Farese appeared in court alongside Sherra Wright. During the next thirty days, negotiations will continue between the family and the law firms Ballin, Ballin & Fishman and Farese, Farese & Farese to determine future representation. At this time, neither Leslie or Blake Ballin nor Steve Farese Sr. or Steve Farese Jr., will have any further comment.
-Memphis, TN. 5/15/2018
Blake Ballin appeared on WREG last night to discuss the nationally televised “48 Hours” show, which aired a special on the Lorenzen Wright case Sunday night. Ballin shared concerns that the show offered opinions which could taint a potential jury pool in Memphis.
At this time, no decision has been made on any change of venue requests. Ballin and Steve Farese Jr., will be back in court on May 30th with Ms. Wright for a bond hearing.
At this time, neither Leslie or Blake Ballin nor Steve Farese Sr. or Steve Farese Jr. will have any further comment.
-Memphis, TN. 5/31/2019
Blake Ballin and Steve Farese Jr., appeared alongside Sherra Wright yesterday morning. Ms. Wright’s bond was set at $20 million dollars by Judge Coffee in her ongoing case.
Ballin and Farese contend that Ms. Wright’s behavior in jail, raised by the State and Judge Coffee as reasoning for a higher bond, is a sign that there is “perhaps need for some mental counseling here.”
Ms. Wright will return to court on July 11th. At this time, neither Ballin, Ballin & Fishman nor Farese, Farese and Farese will have any further comment.
- Bond Set for Sherra Wright
- Twenty Million Dollar Bond for Sherra Wright
- Coffee Sets Bond at $20 Million for Sherra Wright
Blake Ballin Weighs in on Sherra Wright
Blake Ballin joined Scott Madaus on Fox 13 to discuss the charges facing Sherra Wright. Wright has been charged in connection with the death of former Memphis Grizzlies and Memphis Tigers standout Lorenzen Wright. Wright will be extradited from California to stand trial for first degree murder, among other charges. Ballin, Ballin & Fishman is not currently representing Sherra Wright or involved with her case in any way.
Blake Ballin appeared on local news again last night, this time with WMC Action News 5. Ballin was asked about Sherra Wright and the continuing extradition battle playing out in a Southern California courtroom. Sherra Wright is facing first degree murder, among other charges, in the death of her ex-husband Lorenzen Wright.
Ernest Suttles Defense
Blake Ballin released the following statements in regards to Ballin, Ballin & Fishman’s defense of Ernest Suttles on October 16th, 2017. Suttles entered a plea of not guilty.
Blake Ballin released the following statement following a preliminary hearing on December 5th.
Joe Jackson Defense
Leslie Ballin spoke to the assembled media after his client Joe Jackson’s court hearing on August 18th, 2017. Jackson, a former University of Memphis standout, entered a plea of not guilty on all counts.
State of Tennessee vs. Mary Winkler
Mary Winkler, the wife of a minister, was accused of first degree murder following the death of her husband. The case quickly became national news, appearing on CNN, Larry King, Nancy Grace, and Oprah Winfrey. Leslie Ballin, as one of Ms. Winkler’s attorneys, fought hard in the national spotlight. After a long trial, the jury refused to convict Ms. Winkler of murder, instead finding her guilty of the reduced crime of manslaughter. Ms. Winkler was sentenced to three years of prison, with only 67 days to serve.
Notable Cases For Andrew Carr
- Andrew Carr and His Client Joe Insinga Mentioned in the New York Times: February 8, 2014: The New York Times has an article from Gretchen Morgenson entitled “Sounding the Tax Alarm, to Little Applause.” The article discusses the difficulty whistleblowers experience in receiving awards from their tips from the IRS. The article discusses Joe Insinga’s struggle so far, including Andrew Carr’s moves which forced the IRS to finally make a determination regarding Mr. Insinga’s claim. “Unlike other whistle-blowers, Mr. Insinga has gone public. On June 25, 2007, just two months after he filed his claim, he and his lawyer came to New York City and briefed three I.R.S. officials for several hours. Among other things, he handed over an internal audit from the bank identifying 94 dubious transactions set up solely to avoid taxes, court filings show.”
- Andrew Carr Quoted in the Wall Street Journal: April 19, 2013: The Wall Street Journal has an article by Ben DiPietro about Joe Insinga’s Whistleblower case. In a rare case for Tax Court, Andrew Carr filed suit to force the IRS to make a determination on Mr. Insinga’s Request for a Whistleblower Award. “Whichever course of action is decided upon, Carr said Insinga will appeal the IRS rejection of his awards claim, which originally was filed in May 2007. ‘His claims are meritorious and we will pursue them,’ Carr said.”
- Andrew Carr’s Work Appears in the Wall Street Journal: May 2, 2008: The Wall Street Journal has an article by David Armstrong and Jesse Drucker discussing the Whistleblower submission filed by Andrew Carr. The article is entitled “Dutch Bank Funded U.S. Tax Shelters: Rabobank Supplied Cash for Structures Under Investigation.”
Notable Cases For John Timothy Edwards
- John Tim Edwards’ Clients Appear on the Today Show to Discuss Their Experiences with Defective Cochlear Implants: March 14, 2014: NBC’s Today Show has an article and videos by Michael Kosner and Lisa Myers interviewing Advanced Bionics patients.
- Hodges v. S.C. Toof, 833 sw2d 896 (TN S. Ct. 1992)
- Batchelor v. Heiskell, 828 sw2d 388 (TN. Ct. App 1992)
- Rogers v. B F Shaw, 813 sw2d 397 (TN. S. Ct. 1991)
- Teamsters 515 v. Roadbuilders, 291 SE 2d 698 (GA. S. Ct. 1982)
Blake Ballin Fox 13 Investigative Interview
Blake Ballin was interviewed by Fox 13’s Jim Spiewak as part of his investigative report on Memphis men offering free rent in exchange for sexual favors.
Blake Ballin Talks Harbor Town Murder
Blake Ballin appeared on WMC Action News 5 last night, to discuss the murder charges facing Kurtrell Williams. Williams is charged in the murder of Harbor Town resident Susan Grissom. Ballin, Ballin & Fishman is not currently representing or involved with Mr. Williams and his case in any way.