Often, as a result of negligence, individuals sustain serious injuries while visiting a public place. Many people neglect the fact that accidents can happen anywhere and at any time, even in public places. When the appropriate parties do not abide by their legal obligation to maintain a safe environment for their visitors, they can be held liable for any damages that occur as a result of their negligence. Suffering an injury while visiting a public place can be an overwhelming experience. Please continue reading to learn what steps you should take to maximize your chances of recovering monetary compensation for your damages. In addition, please don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Memphis Premises Liability Lawyer who can help you understand and navigate your legal options.
What should I do after being injured while visiting a public place?
After sustaining an injury while visiting a business or public place, you may decide to take legal action to seek compensation for your damages. To do so, you will have to file a premises liability claim within one year of the accident. Although you can file a claim at any point within that year, it is important to take legal action as soon as possible. For a premises liability claim, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. This means you will have to prove the following circumstances:
- The property owner failed to maintain safe premises and exercise reasonable care to protect visitors from harm.
- The property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the dangerous conditions on their property and failed to remedy the dangerous conditions.
- The property owner’s failure to exercise reasonable care directly resulted in your injuries and damages.
Furthermore, if you can prove that your injuries and damages were a direct result of a property owner’s negligent actions, you may be able to recover financial compensation for your damages. However, to support your claim and maximize your chances of being awarded compensation, there are certain steps you should take.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor, it is imperative to have them checked out by a medical professional.
- Notify the appropriate parties about the accident. You should alert the property owner to the incident and dangerous conditions on their premises to prevent any further accidents or injuries from occurring.
- File a police report. It is imperative to file a police report to record the accident.
- Gather evidence at the scene. If possible, try to capture pictures and video footage of the dangerous conditions that caused your injuries. This will help prove the property owner’s negligent actions caused your injuries.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses who watched the events of the accident unfold. Witness statements are vital as they can help corroborate your claim.
- Keep track of all pertinent medical records. It is critical to keep track of your medical records as they can help corroborate the extent and severity of your injuries.
- Retain the legal services of a skilled Memphis premises liability lawyer. Having the right legal representation is extremely important when filing this type of claim. A lawyer can help you investigate the circumstances of the accident as well as gather valuable information to support your claim.
If you have been injured while visiting a public place, get in touch with one of our adept and dedicated team members. Our firm is committed to helping our clients get the justice they deserve.